FREE RANGE VERSE FOR A FREE RANGE WORLD

THE POEMS THAT GOT AWAY

Wednesday 24 February 2010

To He Or She Who Knocked On My Door With Such Non-Sensibility-Suggesting Abandon

Some idiot is knocking (knocking knocking) on my door,
And every knock is louder than the knock that knocked before,
And every knock vibrates into my ear like some strange score
Written for some strange film I have not seen by some strange boor.

Bang on my door, dear idiot, until your knuckles bleed,
Until they break into the woodwork and fill with splinters,
Until the splinters fall into the dust of centuries,
Until the dust of centuries burns in a dying sun...

I would not open it, dear loon, were you thunder-god Thor,
Had knocking been what went behind and what stretched out before
This pin-prick-point of MY lived time - at least it was before
You stole my time with every knock upon my chamber door.

It don't matter how hard you bang - I'll still not answer it,
Not if you fling yourself onto the floor and have a fit,
Not if you slice through the wood with a The Shining hatchet,
I won't and you can't make me. Go away your irksome git.

No comments:

Post a Comment